Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hi everyone.

As some of you may know, my dad and I are into cycling. He and I have always talked about doing a cross-country bike ride over the years before I go off to university as a father/son bonding experience. My dad has done a number of charity events in the past, including the PMC (Pan-Mass Challenge), he and I have completed two week-long trips through the Colorado Rockies, and although our whole family -- my mom and dad, my sister, my Aunt and her family, and my grandparents -- cycled across Holland a few years back, we’ve never done anything this adventurous or for such a worthy purpose. We chose this summer to ride for a cure.

We start our trip in Land’s End (the southern-most tip of England) on June 7 and hope to complete the 1,019 mile route to John O’Groats (the northern-most tip of Scotland) in 9 days of cycling (with two rest days in the middle). My mom and sister Sophie will be there along the way and at the end to pick us up, but the extraordinary part is not just the ride or the spectacular location – it is the inspiration for it. My grandmother, who lives in Little Comberton in the Midlands of England, is a wonderful mother and grandmother. She was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease a couple of years ago. She is doing well, but as you can imagine it’s been a tough thing for the family to come to terms with, and has made us much more aware of the challenges that so many people with Parkinson’s must confront.

My dad and I have decided to make this trip a tribute to my grandmother and a trip to raise funds and awareness of the race to find a cure for Parkinson’s. In true international spirit, we are going to donate all of the funds that we raise to Parkinson’s UK and the Michael J Fox Foundation. We’d very much appreciate any support that you can provide. We have already raised about $3,300! Our goal is $5,000. Please help us exceed this goal by going to http://www.teamfox.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=pjJ0J8MHIoE&b=5594023&sid=lkL0I5OOLgJQJaMWIwF to make a donation. Any amount helps.

Thanks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment